Background to the board
The photograph of the Cavell Statue by George Swain is one of a set taken on the occasion of the unveiling of the statue on October 12 1918 and the subsequent opening of the Cavell Rest Home for Nurses. It is ©Alpha Photo Press Library. Tel: +44 02(0) 7253 7705 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.alphapress.com. Their permission to use it is much appreciated. The full series of 15 photographs of the occasion can be seen in the Norfolk Record Office at County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich NR1 2DH. Their catalogue reference is N/LM2/1
The photograph of the Cavell Rest home is a copy of one held by the Maids Head Hotel in Norwich. The Rest Home was later taken over and became part of the hotel.
The interpretation board layout was created by Norwich City Council and installed through them. We are extremely grateful for their help and expertise. The board and stand were produced by Shelley Signs (https://www.shelleysigns.co.uk).
Permission for the installation of the board was obtained from Historic England (Eastern Region). https://historicengland.org.uk/about/contact-us/local-offices/east-of-england/
Text of the meeting between Edith Cavell and Revd Stirling Gahan in her prison cell on October 11 1915 quoted on the interpretation board comes from Source Records of the Great War, Vol. III, ed. Charles F. Horne, National Alumni 1923, as quoted at http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/cavell_gahan.htm
The photograph of Colonel Boger, the Cheshire Regiment, is sourced from Rowland Ryder’s book Edith Cavell, 1975. Those of the two Norfolk soldiers have been used with permission from the Norfolk Regimental Museum’s website where their stories can be found www.royalnorfolkregimentalmuseum.org.uk. This Museum is now in Norwich Castle.
Their stories have been told briefly here – more details can be found as indicated.